Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Drive Through

Many years ago, when Pop was still driving, there was an incident we like to call "The Drive Through." Pop had just come back from the Wawa after purchasing his daily newspaper. He pulled into the driveway and just kept on going, right through our sunroom. The impact moved a couch inside the room several feet. My mom called me at school shortly afterward and said, "Pop bent the sunroom." That was an interesting way to put it and she failed to mention a car was involved. I was thinking that Pop had suddenly developed superhuman strength.

When I got home, I surveyed the damage. "Hummmm, a perfect right triangle," my math teacher mind was thinking. A perfect way to demonstrate the Pythagorean Theory. If the sunroom is perpendicular to the driveway and using Pop's car as the hypotenuse, how far did his car travel? A great example!

My husband, an engineer who designed the sunroom, had a completely different take on the event. After fixing the damage, he announced that the engineering was superb, no people were harmed in this event and it would be great advertising for the structure.

1 comment:

  1. Kathy - great stories! Great legacy for your children and grandchildren - then they can write about you.

    Denise
    dkmgenealogy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete